the nclave

a little enclave for me in the vast ocean of the web. here's hoping i'll look back on all these someday, and be glad for it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Monday, September 18, 2006

peace...

Spotted in The Straits Times today regarding the Pope's apology:

"Meanwhile, in Somalia, there were fears that the shooting of an elderly Italian nun and her bodyguard outside a hospital was linked to the controversy over the Pope's remarks.

The attack took place following calls by a prominent hardline Mogadishu cleric, Sheikh Abubukar Hassan Malin, for Muslims to 'hunt down' and kill the pontiff for his remarks.

In the Palestinian territories, the head of the Hamas-led government, Prime Minister Ismail Haniya, denounced a spate of attacks on Christian churches after assailants targeted two more West Bank churches on Sunday in protest against the Pope's remarks.

On Saturday, Muslims hurled firebombs and opened fire at five churches in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
"

I am a strong believer of religious harmony, and I mean no offence to anyone by writing this. But does it not seem ironic that the response by some people to a perceived "insult" that their faith is proliferated by violence, is to unleash violence on buildings and innocent people?

I shall not say too much, lest I be misconstrued. Suffice it to say that I have plenty of Muslim friends, and I value each and every one of them as being level-headed, kind and generally great friends. I believe the violent response is not a general sentiment among our Muslim friends, and I certainly hope the individuals who are responsible for the violence will see that no good can ever be achieved by harming innocent lives.

I think MUIS has got it right, and I am grateful for the statement issued, as quoted in The Straits Times:
"'What is important is for Muslims in Singapore to be calm and patient.'
MR ALAMI MUSA, president of the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (Muis), speaking on Saturday
"

Violence solves nothing. Let peace prevail.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Singapore Archibishop hit the nail on the head when he said that we as catholics, have to admit that most of us have not read the Pope's speech in full, how can we expect the Muslims to do so?

I think its a blessing actually... for us to bear testimony to our faith...

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:14:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home