the nclave

a little enclave for me in the vast ocean of the web. here's hoping i'll look back on all these someday, and be glad for it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Monday, September 25, 2006

friends forever?

I have a friend who is getting married in December.

I have not been in touch with this friend for several years. She used to be part of this group of friends that I still hang out with from time to time, but she disappeared to do her own things a while back, and to give a gist of it, her departure from the group did not start on a very pleasant note, due to some sensitive issues which i honestly have forgotten.

When I first learnt of the wedding from another member of this group of friends, my first reaction was to say I'll not go. Why waste good money attending the wedding of someone I haven't met for years? But her email invite reached my inbox, and, regardless of whether it's true or not, the invite says it's a small affair, meant only for close friends and relatives, and that she really hoped we could attend. Given the way the invite was written, I could not help but reply to say yes I'd go. (yes, I'm a sucker, I know)

Now the funny thing is, I had expected none of the other friends in this group to be hesitant about attending the wedding, as they all knew the bride longer than I did, and were her classmates even. Surprisingly, all but one or two of them said they would not attend. Why not? I admit it's a bit of a "pot calling the kettle black" situation, since I initially did not want to go, and I'd pull out of the dinner if no one else is going. But something still bugs me. We were really pretty good friends back then, going for road trips together, hanging out every weekend, etc. Do friendships really not last forever? Or was it simply because contact was lost on a "bad" note? Even so, surely the good times spent together should outweigh the unfortunate events which led to a loss of contact, especially when she still values the friendships enough to actually bother to invite us?

The whole situation does not sit well with me. Leads me to wonder how many of my old friends would actually be happy to receive my wedding invitation when the time comes. I certainly intend to invite only friends that matter to me, whether new or old, but I'd hate think that to think that some of them might actually be reluctant to attend. I suppose I should start making some efforts to mend some lost connections. Not just for the sake of the guest list at my wedding, but more for the sake of friendship, pure and simple.

Just a little rant for the weekend. Got a busy week ahead, but hey, there's always the next weekend. :) Night...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no blogging at 3.35am! =)

share your sentiments re friendship.... quite sad right.. I too wonder if friends that I once were best buds with but due to time and change, have lost touch with, would attend my wedding.. costs aside, surely the friendship we once shared would warrant their time at least? alas, perhaps its the nature of wedding dinners? Where the bride/groom dun even get to say much more than "Hi thanks for coming!"

That said, i'm hoping my friends that I once held dear to my heart, and still do, will take the time out (and some cash of course heh) to attend my wedding... as I will do the same if invited... =)

my 2 cents worth...

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home