the nclave

a little enclave for me in the vast ocean of the web. here's hoping i'll look back on all these someday, and be glad for it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Strike With Synergy

That's the tag-line for my current NS unit. Not exactly the words you would associate with a bunch of guys from all walks of life gathering together once or twice a year to play with guns and such, but we did surprisingly well nonetheless.

Just returned from 2 weeks of In-Camp Training, and it was whole new experience for me, since I was but a clerk during my active NS days. We took part in Exercise Voyager, which entailed being out in the field for 7 days and 6 nights. For fear of being hauled up by Mindef for security breaches, I shall not provide much details, but suffice to say that our motley crew managed to prevail against fresh and vigorous 18/19 year-olds in a reputable active infantry unit. The sleepless nights and heavy tasks were a torture, but on hindsight, it was truly a refereshing experience and I'm a tad proud of myself for surviving my first full military exercise as part of a unit which was recently the best combat unit in its division.

But the bane of my existence in the army? Here it is:



For some reason, they have chosen to bestow me with the squad automatic weapon instead of just the usual rifle, and I thus have to lug this heavy crap all around with me. Not only that, the blanks used do not generate enough "kick" for the weapon to function optimally, so I have to spend more time fixing it than shooting it. Sigh.

I also ended up bringing too much food for the exercise. Only when the exercise started did I realise that I should minimise my eating so as to minimise the call of nature. Trust me, it's not pleasant to squat among tall grass and a battalion of mosquitoes to do the deed. Am most pleased to have limited myself to 3 "releases" during the 7 days, but it came about as a result of eating just enough not to be hungry. Plenty of wasted rations.

Soldier talk aside, I did have a good time with my platoon mates from all walks of life. From a chef, to a pilot, to luxury watch sales, it's nice to be able to interact with people other than legal eagles and the like. Will be seeing quite a bit of them this year, as we anticipate a mobilisation sometime this year, and another ICT later this year too.

Alright, am tired of being deliberately vague, so shall end this post. It's good to be back in civilisation. :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger gracevine said...

Ok, this sounds warped, but your ICT actually sounds fun! =)

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:00:00 am  
Blogger feelingsleepy said...

it doesn't just "sound" warped....it IS warped!

i could recommend a good psychiatrist i used to refer my clients to.... ;p

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 10:30:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is that whoever thinks/says that Singapore has no land and/or is very small is WRONG.... and my sincere and deepest sympathies to all those who have to traverse the island daily for work or school; and even deeper sympathies to those who actually work daily (by choice or otherwise) at such ulu-pok places (aka TUAS)....

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 6:31:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home