the nclave

a little enclave for me in the vast ocean of the web. here's hoping i'll look back on all these someday, and be glad for it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Great Switcheroo

It is done.

As promised earlier, I have made the great leap over to Macintosh. Bought a Macbook on 6 January 2007, and I have no regrets thus far. For the full details of my newly-acquired toy, go to http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html. It is the white 2.0 GHz version. :)

Been doing research on the web since my earlier post threatening to abandon Windows, and also did some on-site research by visiting the Epicentre @ Orchard twice to take a closer look at the form and function of the Macbook.

Eventually went to the iShop21 at Cineleisure to close the deal, as iShop offered a much better promotion than Epicentre. For an additional $149, I got a licensed copy of Office:Mac 2004 (which is crucial for working purposes), a Mambo sling bag with a laptop compartment, an optical mouse and a keyboard protector. The Office:Mac comes with 3 licenses, so if any of you decides to buy a new Mac, you may procure one of the licenses from me at an attractive price (or a nice meal ;p ).

It took a bit of getting used to especially since I have become quite adept at Windows over the many years of the Microsoft monopoly, but in a way, I have come a full circle since the days of excitedly trooping over to the Computer Lab in Sec. 1 to learn how to use MS Works on a primitive version of the Macintosh, which looked something like this:



And so it is evident that the Mac has come a long long way from that ugly nondescript box to the its very sleek and sexy form today. Needless to say, the features have improved dramatically, and I find myself very pleased at the ease of use of the Mac as compared to Windows. It is stable, faster, and very aesthetically pleasing as compared to the boring taskbar and Start button combination in Windows.

I still have lots to do in order to complete the switch though. The files have been mostly transferred, but I need to get down to organising the photos and music, and reconciling them with the built-in software like iPhoto and iTunes. Speaking of iTunes, the remote control that comes with the Macbook is brilliant. Well done, Apple.

Hours and hours of fun "geek-time" ahead for me! :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home