the nclave

a little enclave for me in the vast ocean of the web. here's hoping i'll look back on all these someday, and be glad for it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

Monday, April 02, 2007

I can see clearly now...

...because I have gone for LASIK surgery!

Date of deed: 27 March 2007.
Time: 1500 hours.
Venue: The Lasik Surgery Clinic ("LSC"), Paragon Medical Centre.

Been living with specs since Primary 2, and now I've finally gone and done something to get rid of them for good.

The procedure I underwent was Wavefront Lasik, which involves a customised "wavefront map" of the eye being made so that the laser pulses can sort out even the higher aberrations in the cornea. That's the price of having relatively high astigmatism.

Here's how Lasik works:



And here's a sample picture of the eye with the corneal flap cut and peeled back to make way for the laser. No, this is NOT my eye, though I'm sure I did look something like that during surgery.



Anyway, I'm most impressed with LSC for the short time taken from start to end. Went for my Lasik Suitability Screening on 16 March 2007, had a Pre-Lasik Evaluation on 22 March 2007, and surgery promptly on 27 March 2007. The clinic premises were comfortable and generally pleasant, and the prices are very reasonable, made even more so by the special price for NUSS members.

I must admit the actual procedure was rather unnerving, as the whole thing took place so fast, that in a blink of an eye (no pun intended), the anaesthetic drops have been administered, the eye lashes have been pasted down, the eyelid has been retracted, the suction ring applied, the cornea flap cut and dried, the laser administered, and the flap returned to place. Less than 5 minutes per eye. Contrary to popular information, I did not smell any burning while the laser was being administered.

The whole procedure was generally painless, except for some discomfort when the suction ring was applied. And the eyes felt fine after surgery, until the anaesthetic drops wore off, and I started tearing from the irritation and very mild stinging. But I wouldn't describe it as outright pain. Went home, took a sleeping pill, had a nap, and woke up feeling no pain or discomfort at all.

Vision improved over the next few days, and though I can see pretty clearly, I must say I'm not entirely pleased with my right eye's vision for now though. Am hoping it will improve further as assured by the doctor.

So thank God everything went well. Just look at the eye (again not mine):



You can't tell me that it wasn't created by God. It's simply a miracle on its own. :)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger gracevine said...

OMG...seriously?!?!? Gak! Now you're really tempting me....

Monday, April 02, 2007 11:30:00 am  
Blogger feelingsleepy said...

muahaha....just do it....you KNOW you want to....just imagine not having to mess with contacts for all your psychotic physical activities... ;)

Monday, April 02, 2007 11:48:00 am  
Blogger gracevine said...

No la...contacts have never been a prob for me...and my physical activities aren't psychotic! They're a hassle only when it comes to the overnighters at work and when flying....

Monday, April 02, 2007 12:23:00 pm  
Blogger feelingsleepy said...

'nuff said....just do it! ;)

Monday, April 02, 2007 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger gracevine said...

Nuts! My eye's prob twitching nervously already at the mere thought!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 9:50:00 am  
Blogger feelingsleepy said...

whaaat??! you dun even blink at the thought of crazy triathlons, and now you twitch at a mere 10 minute procedure? tsk tsk...

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 9:59:00 am  
Blogger J.G said...

vainpot! (pot calling the kettle black here..) for 2 weeks I was pushing phantom specs up my nose and it felt weird not having something there lol.
anyway, don't worry about not seeing clearly, it'll improve within 3 months. 'tho I still don't have perfect night vision due to high astigmatism...nevertheless still the best 3k I've ever spent

Thursday, April 05, 2007 1:18:00 pm  
Blogger feelingsleepy said...

yea, i did quite a bit of the phantom specs thing too! haha.

and am eagerly waiting for the improvement/stabilisation of vision in time to come...

and i agree, it's money well spent... :)

come visit more often! (also pot calling the kettle black, coz i haven't visted your blog for eons..haha..shall do so now...)

Thursday, April 05, 2007 2:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home